Founded in 1872, this progressive community once belonged to Burauen, but Dagami had a former claim on it. In the dispute that followed over the boundary, this barrio was ceded to Dagami, thereby getting its name “Guina-aro-na” (which literally means “has been asked”) in a dialect or simply Guinarona. (Source: The Archdiocese of Palo website.)
Late in the 18th century, the Spanish conquistadores, in an effort to link settlements and spread Christianity, built roads and bridges crossing the interior towns of the province of Leyte, Philippines. “Karwahes” were then used as the only means of transportation. These trips by “Karwahe” were by no means easy nor convenient for the travelers. They were forced to stop at a place between trips for the animals to rest and the passengers to place their morals. The place was the beautiful settlement of Guinarona.